JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B Extender - What does TV/OK Mean?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The E2 area is the part of memory (the only part of memory) that RMIR or IR reads from and writes to. When you download from a remote, the entire contents of E2 is read and displayed in the Raw Data tab. And when RMIR uploads to a remote everything that was displayed on the Raw Data tab is written to the remote.

Excellent. That means I was under the wrong impression. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Of course this imposes a few different questions because of this response.

mdavej wrote:
Just to clarify, my clean file was downloaded from an RCA out of the box, not made from "File-New", so it is the base config the readme recommends. I couldn't tell if the extender was ever actually loaded or not.

Doesn't the E2 area have a organized layout where he could have looked in the Raw Data tab to see if the extender was actually loaded? Maybe by looking for a particular pattern or a particular address, instead of the signature which could have been forged or reset? Or is the E2 area a hodgepodge of fragmented data that's organized by the hidden area? Similar to a file allocation table for a drive partition.

dannyo wrote:
The second file, scrambled-exinst-download, was generated by
  1. starting RMIR from scratch
  2. uploading the saved "new" image to the remote.
  3. Installing extender 3A79ext-notes.hex using File/Install Extender..
  4. Downloading the remote to the "scrambled-exinst-download" file.
All files, the original out-of-box, the "scrambled-download" file, and the "scrambled-exinst-download" files have the same 31793179 signature but with different raw data values.

Shouldn't the signature change for each different RAW data listing?

Are you sure that is the exact steps you followed? Because if it is, then you never actually applied the extender to the remote. That would clear up why the signatures are the same on all three of your files. For the "scrambled-exinst-download" file, it sounds like you uploaded the a new RDF image to your remote, applied the extender to RMIR but then overwrote those changes when you downloaded the remote image. You would have had to upload the image to the remote between steps 3 and 4 for the extender to be applied to the remote.

After selecting "File > Install Extender..." you are only changing the RAW data space within RMIR. You actually need to upload it to the remote to apply it. Otherwise, the extender is just sitting there on your computer doing nothing.
dannyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Are you sure that is the exact steps you followed?

I did upload to the remote. Sorry, I just left that step out of the list. I edited my the list of steps above.
I believe the extender was uploaded because without the extender, most of the RAW data is F's. I also tried it again. The data download from the remote is comes back different from the data that was uploaded.

edited for clarification.

Last edited by dannyo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
dannyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha!
I see now that the "out-of-box" with extender installed image has the 3A793A79 signature.
When I upload/download to/from the remote, the signature remains 31793179.

As well, the data from 0600 to 0617 do not match either the out-of-box nor the extended out-of-box file.
Extended image uploaded:
0600=33 41 37 39 33 41 37 39 4A B5 00 00 10 00 20 00
0610=30 00 20 00 00 00 30 00 20 00 00 8C 00 00 00 00
Remote image downloaded:
0600=33 31 37 39 33 31 37 39 6E 91 05 60 10 00 20 00
0610=33 FF 20 00 05 61 36 DF 20 00 00 8C 00 00 00 00

In addition, location 064F comes back from the remote as 12 wheras it is 00 for the uploaded extended image.

This doesn't seem right. If you upload an image and immediately download it, shouldn't the downloaded data be the same as the data uploaded?

Last edited by dannyo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
Doe this seem right?

No.

dannyo wrote:
If you upload an image and immediately download it, shouldn't the data be the same or not?

Yes, it should at least the signatures anyways. If you upload an image with a "3A793A79" signature then it should immediately download back as "3A793A79" not magically change into "31793179". At least from what I've gathered by 3FG's explanations.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using IR 803 to upload and download from the remote, I had a similar problem with an extended Atlas 1055. The macros kept getting scrambled when I used RMIR. See this post http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=100292#100292

Mike
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:

Yes, it should at least the signatures anyways. If you upload an image with a "3A793A79" signature then it should immediately download back as "3A793A79" not magically change into "31793179". At least from what I've gathered by 3FG's explanations.

Yes, this remote "behaves" in this respect. One of the JP1.3 remotes resets the signature in the E2 area on reset (I think it's the 15-100, but can't remember) All of the rest leave the E2 area alone unless you tell the remote to do something with it (like a 981 reset)

So when you upload something and read it back, it should be identical. if it is not, something has gone very wrong.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilligaf wrote:
Try using IR 803 to upload and download from the remote, I had a similar problem with an extended Atlas 1055. The macros kept getting scrambled when I used RMIR. See this post http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=100292#100292

Mike

I would also recommend this as I use IR mainly for my debugging activities. (although I am in the process of moving to RMIR but have not completely done that yet)
dannyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilligaf wrote:
Try using IR 803 to upload and download from the remote,
'
Can both IR and RMIR be installed/loaded at the same time?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You can even run multiple instances of both simultaneously. I've installed the extender many times to my RCAs via IR without issue. I've never tried to install an extender with RMIR.
dannyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Yes. You can even run multiple instances of both simultaneously.
Good to know. I'll try IR8.03 and see what happens.

unclemiltie has some ideas also.
TV Sony Sony KDS-60A3000 (over the air)
Receiver Onkyo HT-R670 (part of HT-S6200 Theater sys)
CD player Sony CDP-C325

My Software:
RemoteMaster v2.04 build 14
RDF's as of 2011-01-14
Images and Maps Version 1.32 as of 2010-12-30
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the conclusion on my RCRP05B issue(s.) Remember, the remote was doing funky things after I loaded the extender, and then reloaded a non-extended rmir file. Could have been any of
The tools.
Operator error (me.)
The remote
Batteries

Well it turns out we've declared the remote not brain dead but almost. It has enough wits to wander around aimlessly but not fall dead. So it's going back to Fry's assuming eferz doesn't really want a brick.

Anyway, thanks a ton for all your help. I was really amazed at the positive attention I received from the forum. There are some nice people here. Keep up the good work!
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
Here's the conclusion on my RCRP05B issue(s.) Well it turns out we've declared the remote not brain dead but almost. It has enough wits to wander around aimlessly but not fall dead. So it's going back to Fry's assuming eferz doesn't really want a brick.

Anyway, thanks a ton for all your help. I was really amazed at the positive attention I received from the forum. There are some nice people here. Keep up the good work!

Awww, sorry to hear our experts couldn't help you get it fixed. If you can exchange it at Fry's to get another one then please do so. As interesting as it would be to have a zombie remote to play with, I prefer that you spend your available resources in having working equipment. Hope this experience does not discourage you from using a JP1 remote as either a hobby project or for practical purposes.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My conclusion on his remote is that he has a hardware failure in the RAM on the remote. (after a fair amount of diagnosis)

What's interesting is that it doesn't appear to impact the workings of the remote when there is nothing loaded (i.e. after a 981 reset) but as soon as you put stuff into it, the remote kind of goes nuts.

His other RCA does not exhibit this problem, neither does mine. After that, I recommended the take it back and get another one.
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my DW that it's a hobby since the time I spend way exceeds the expense of one of those expensive "H" remotes. But that was because of the wandering bad remote.
TV Sony Sony KDS-60A3000 (over the air)
Receiver Onkyo HT-R670 (part of HT-S6200 Theater sys)
CD player Sony CDP-C325

My Software:
RemoteMaster v2.04 build 14
RDF's as of 2011-01-14
Images and Maps Version 1.32 as of 2010-12-30
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: