JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Search   Statistics   Toplist   View All Files 
JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> File Section -> JP1 File Section -> Miscellaneous -> Interface Designs -> Flash Interfaces -> TROUBLESHOOTING A SERIAL JP1.2/3 INTERFACE
File - TROUBLESHOOTING A SERIAL JP1.2/3 INTERFACE
Description: How to test and troubleshoot a Serial Interface for JP1.2 and JP1.3

Revised 01/30/09 to add testing of both types of reset circuit
Submited by: Tommy Tyler
Author: Tommy N. Tyler
Version: Revised 01/30/09
Date: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:02 pm
Last Updated: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm
Last Download: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:36 pm
File Size: 1.19 MB
Rating: 10 / 10 (1 Votes)
Downloaded: 2355

Author Comments
Blade_Runner_2015

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:26 pm    Comment subject: Beware other apps using COM1 like Microsoft ActiveSync

I found this well written document very helpful and the key to JP1.2 cable newbie "cable problem" I was having with both ir.exe and jp1xtest.exe.

Specifically, the comment about using com_test.exe: "Only valid Windows ports you have available and WHICH ARE NOT PRESENTLY BEING USED BY ANOTHER APPLICATION are listed in the drop-down menu" was the key.

Neither ir.exe nor jp1xtest.exe nor the Windows XP Device Hardware Manager tell you if the COM port you are trying to use is already in use already by another application: they will just fail to connect without explanation. Com_test does! (effectively, by listing *no* COM ports in the port selection menu). Once I had this clue, I experimentally tried changing the port number from COM1 to COM2 in the Windows device manager advanced tab, rebooted, and low and behold the previously quiet Microsoft ActiveSync app started complaining about COM1 being unavailable. To get all ir and JP propgrams working all I had to do was to disable Microsoft ActiveSync from automatically connecting to COM1.