JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Search   Statistics   Toplist   View All Files 
JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> File Section -> JP1 File Section -> Device Upgrades -> Audio/Video Selectors -> DotStone HDMI Switch Remote
File - DotStone HDMI Switch Remote
Description: .RMDU file for the remote control to a DotStone 4 Port HDMI switch with PIP sold on Amazon. I couldn't find a model number.
Submited by: JHBrandt
Author: JHBrandt
Version: 1.1
Date: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:07 pm
Last Updated: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:53 pm
Last Download: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:10 pm
File Size: 1.35 KB
Rating: Not Rated (0 Votes)
Downloaded: 6

Author Comments
JHBrandt

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:19 pm    Comment subject:

This is a very simple remote: only 13 buttons. I listed two functions twice in the .RMDU because they work slightly differently depending on whether the PIP is active, so there are 15 total functions in the file.

I didn't assign any functions to remote buttons in the .rmdu; I figured since there are so few, and since they don't necessarily map intuitively to most universal remotes, it was best to let each user assign the functions to their remote's buttons as they see fit.

A note to those considering purchasing this device: this remote uses the very common NEC protocol with the very common device code of 0/255; an unfortunate choice which often results in conflicts with other remotes, such as those for the HomeWorx HW-180STB and the Terk TUNVR1 set-top box/DVRs. So make sure to check the protocol for your other device remotes before purchasing
JHBrandt

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 pm    Comment subject: Small change to reduce remote interference issues

Turns out this HDMI switch doesn't care what sub-device code is sent; the remote that comes with it sends 255, but you can send, say, 251, and the switch will still respond.

This is bad in one way, because it means lots of remotes will inadvertently control this switch. Sad For example, a remote for a StarTech HDMI switch, or a remote for an HW-130, HW-180, or HW-220 STB, will cause unwanted actions on the DotStone switch.

I haven't found a way around that yet, but on the plus side, at least the upgrade file can be changed so that a remote using the upgrade is less likely to inadvertently control another device. So, i changed the upgrade file to send sub-device 250 vs. 255; my upgrade file still works, but now using it no longer causes unintended actions on my HW-220.