JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Search   Statistics   Toplist   View All Files 
JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> File Section -> JP1 File Section -> Miscellaneous -> Interface Designs -> JP1 interface spring adapter
File - JP1 interface spring adapter
Description: Alterntative to pogo pin adapter for JP1 remotes with pads instead of holes (e.g. Kameleon 8040, 9960 etc.)
Submited by: underquark
Author: underquark
Version: 1.0
Date: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:12 am
Last Updated: None
Last Download: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:48 pm
File Size: 25.36 KB
Rating: Not Rated (0 Votes)
Downloaded: 1648

Author Comments
underquark
Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 am    Comment subject:

I needed an interface for my Kameleon 8040 but didn't have pogo pins. I read the posting by Nils Ekberg about cutting a rectangular hole in the back of the battery lid so that you didn't need to take it off to put your JP1 plug in. I though I'd make a neater job by driling six little holes and sticking long pogo pins in through them. I couldn't get long pogo pins (or was too mean to pay for them) and so tried to make some with watch strap spring bars (available from watch menders, eBay etc.).

Plan A) Take plunger out of one end of bar and insert metal rod (0.6 to 0.9mm diameter) into it to create a long pogo pin. Insert other end of rods into JP1 connector.

But I found that there were skinny bars and chunky bars so:

Plan B) The chunky springs are stiff enough that they act like pogo pins so just push them over the short end of male header pins and hold them with a bit of solder. Long springs can reach through holes drilled in the battery lid and short ones can be directly applied and held by hand, elastic band or whatever else you can come up with. Long side of the header pins insert into the JP1 plug.

With either method, they sit on the pads better if you follow Nils' advice to glue a small piece of drilled perf board around the holes to stop the pogo pins or springs from slipping.